No matter how slim or toned you are, you will reach an age where you are going to look ridiculous in APC Petit Standards. And while all jeans specifically marketed at grown men are terrible, there are some basics that work for just about all ages. Those are going to be your best bet. A few things to look for:
Shown left to right: L.L.Bean Signature 5-pocket jean [$69].
Bonobos Flatiron denim [$145]. Levi's 501 [$78]. (Despite the low rise the 514 can be workable too.)
- Slim, straight, but not skinny leg.
- A seriously dark, natural wash.
- No crap on the back pockets.
- Mid-rise—not too low, and certainly not too high.
- No fake distressing. Break them in yourself.