One of our favourite fall staples is the merino v-neck sweater, which keeps looking great through the day even if the shirt beneath it develops a case of the wrinklies. We love the classic look of a v-neck over an open collar dress shirt, and the way it lets you set just the right amount of cuff and sort of keeps everything in place. Also works great under a suit. The best of breed are thin, soft, have a lot of stretch and a slim fit, with a V deep enough to show off your collar. Fortunately it's a buyer's market, and we can't resist adding a couple to the collection every year. A bunch of mid-priced options:
1. Brooks Brothers [$90] — tons of beautiful colours including rich jewel tones.
2. Banana Republic [$60] — reliably good every year and one of our favourite shapes.
3. Gap [$50] — can't beat the price.
4. J.Crew [$70] — we pick on them a lot, but these are nice and particularly soft.
5. Bloomingdale's house brand [$78] — the greys have particularly nice textures.
6. Zara [$60] — another good selection of colours.